Network Engineer Level I
The Network Engineer Level I is primarily responsible for delivering quality IT services and recommendations to customers pertaining to their company data, workstations, servers and networks. One goal of the position is to ensure the client's success by enabling them to maximize the benefits of their investment in technology and their staff. The second goal is to complete the work promised to the clients in a way that ensures a profit for HTS. The position involves significant interaction with clients and coworkers.
Heritage Technology Solutions is a full-service network integrator offering complete solutions that include high-quality computer products, printer hardware, software applications, network consultation, design, cabling, and support. Our emphasis is focused on integrating Internet connectivity, mass storage, voice/data communications, document imaging, security solutions and telephone systems with network technology. Incorporated in 1983, our business occupies a 4000 square foot service facility, centrally located to service our Chicago, suburban and Northwest Indiana clients. Just minutes away from major expressways, we can provide the fast response our customers demand and deserve.
Essential job functions
Employees are held accountable for the following job functions. Performance levels on these functions are assessed in regular Peer Review surveys and through the annual performance appraisal process.
- Consistently work to provide exceptional customer satisfaction and success for our clients.
- Keep management informed of any customer satisfaction or relationship concerns.
- Communicate effectively and at appropriate times with all levels of internal staff and client personnel.
- Manage the client’s expectations by clearly assessing each service ticket regarding the time required and potential costs involved. Effectively communicate expectations to the clients and reset expectations when appropriate.
- Manage multiple simultaneous assignments in a very fast past environment.
- Provide technical consultation and recommendations that are beneficial for our clients.
- Look for and develop methods that drive efficiency in our internal procedures.
- Commute between customer locations in the Chicago /Northwest Indiana area.
- Participate in project implementations.
- Provide hardware and software troubleshooting, administration and installs for PCs, servers and networks.
- Research hardware and software pricing and provide purchase recommendations to clients.
- Maximize the use of time to achieve expected billable/utilized time.
- At the time of service, accurately document all services delivered. Documentation must be appropriate for billing purposes and be complete to allow co-workers to understand previous work completed to resume effort.
- Identify business issues experienced by our clients and develop technical recommendations to overcome them.
- Assist with sales staff in winning new clients.
- Actively pursue learning new technology and developing new skills by developing a training plan and consistently making progress toward your training objectives.
- Develop/document internal processes and procedures.
- Participate in the development of new service offerings.
- Keep all service ticket documentation current and accurate.
- Keep schedule/calendar current with dispatcher.
- Perform other related responsibilities as determined by management.
Company core competencies
Employees are expected to perform in a manner that is polished and that demonstrates a professional attitude and eagerness to help themselves and HTS thrive.
Alignment to company goals
- You are committed to the company’s mission, vision, values and goals.
- You understand the company goals and prioritize activities and make decisions in alignment with them.
- You provide efficient, timely and reliable support services required by clients to support their workstations, servers and networks.
- You listen well to client’s needs and respond to them in a way that is meaningful to them.
- You effectively prioritize multiple schedules and resources congruently.
- You work efficiently without sacrificing work quality.
- You effectively manage your calendar and time to meet all deadlines and appointments and maximize the time available in your day.
- You apply knowledge and skills to innovate in accomplishing company and client objectives and solving problems.
- You effectively interact with your team members and you share your knowledge and ideas with them in a generous and professional attitude.
- You pitch in as necessary to meet the demands of the work and you appropriately ask for help from your team members.
- You are effective in communicating with customers and all levels of the organizations in all formats, written and verbal.
Motivation & commitment
- You demonstrate an attitude that is motivated toward the company goals.
- You willingly accept assignments and take the timely and necessary actions to accomplish them.
Standards of excellence
- You set high standards of excellence for yourself and you strive to meet those standards.
- Your work is accurate, complete and demonstrates a level of professionalism that you and your teammates are proud of and reflects positively of the company.
Ambition to learn
- You consistently establish and pursue training objectives that support your career goals and the company’s goals.
Need for supervision
- Your work habits and results are such that you require only moderate supervision.
Education and work experience
- Have a minimum of 2 years working full time supporting Windows based PCs in a business network environment.
- Have successfully completed at least one MCP level certification. (Versions must be currently recognized by Microsoft)
- Possess a working knowledge of networking, Active Directory hierarchy and structure.
- Be able to list the key functions of a firewall, router, switch and a hub and explain the differences between them.
- Be able to manually configure a workstation’s IP address, mask and gateway, and troubleshoot connectivity to the LAN and Internet.
- Have a working knowledge of viruses, Trojans, adware and spyware, and be able to explain the differences.
- Be able to configure various mail clients (Outlook, Outlook Express, etc.), read and understand a header.
- Be able to use built in tools to monitor and troubleshoot the performance of a PC.
- Identify local user accounts and set permissions.
- Position requires the following physical activity: Sitting, standing, walking, typing, lifting and/or carrying up to 50 lbs, crouching, bending, kneeling, reaching, stretching.
- Work environment will usually be standard office settings. At times, you may be required to enter industrial or home office settings.
We would like to thank you for your interest in applying to Heritage Technology Solutions.
Please note that we will review your application and only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted directly. However, we will retain your application on file and would be pleased to contact you if further opportunities arise.
The job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
*Candidates must be available to work after hours and on weekends in an “on call emergency basis”
Heritage Technology Solutions - Crestwood13600 S. Kenton Avenue
(located at the corner of 136th street and Kenton)
Crestwood, IL 60418
Email: email@example.com www.htspc.net